[ VXCMD] Time limited demo

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Fri Jan 24 15:26:19 CST 2003

>  > I've just read again both the "VALENTINA SDK COMMERCIAL
>>  PUBLISHER AGREEMENT" for the "VALENTINA C++ SDK" and
>>  "VALENTINA SDK COMMERCIAL PUBLISHER AGREEMENT". I didn't see
>>  any clause that talk about the serial number. So, which
>>  clause prohibit me from distributing my software that will
>>  pass the serial number to ValentinaInit() function only if my
>>  user has entered a serial key (on my own), which means she
>>  has paid for my software?
>>
>>  Just wondering...
>
>"All rights not expressly granted in this Agreement are reserved by
>Paradigma Software."
>
>It doesn’t specifically grant you the right to distribute the
>unserialized version. In fact, no rights are expressly granted at all
>for the use of the unserialized version.

Hmm, I am trying to understand this deeper:

in case of a C++ product, Valentina is really embedded inside the
product as far as I know and not distributed alone. In other words,
what is being distributed is another product that just happen to have
Valentina inside. Just like it has libraries from Metrowerks or else.

In case of other Valentina products, like vxmcd, what is being
distributed is Valentina library which is not initialized per se --
the serial number is passed only at run time. So one could have two
parallel init calls in the program, one with a serial number and one
without it, called depending whether the product is running in demo
mode or as a registered product. So is such a product serialized or
not? Serial number is there just not always used.

>I can think of a host of business problems this would create for
>Paradigma.

The quality of serialization of products using Valentina is one
concern, making the Valentina init key well hidden in a distributed
is another. However, I fail to see how distribution of a product that
embeds Valentina and allows it to run in demo mode can affect
business of Paradigma. What am I missing?

Robert