Newbie question on RecID

Keith DeLong delong at redcort.com
Wed Jan 22 09:49:39 CST 2003

> I need to access the RecID of my records. How do I do that? How do I
> create the characters that look like << and >>? Is this correct syntax?
>
> rnumber.text = str(myCursor.ULongField("<<RecID>>").value)
>
> Rick

Hi Rick,
Welcome to the list. I think you'll find this a real helpful place as you
get started with Valentina.

You can get tripped up with RecIDs in a couple of ways:

You can select recID explicitly via

SELECT RecID, Field1, Field2 FROM baseobject...

Or implicitly via **

SELECT * FROM baseobject...  Yields the actual fields of your base object

Select ** FROM baseobject... Yields the baseobjects and RecID

For populating fields, I use:

rnumber.text = cursor.field("RecID").getstring

Hope this helps,

Keith DeLong