[Valentina] Re: Vdb files

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Mon Jan 20 13:44:22 CST 2003

>1) YES, it is easy for Create() get just name and build that name.
>But also exits Open().
>
>You do not take into account that open() can get dbs as with .vdb extension
>if they come from Windows, so without extensions !!!!!!!!!
>         THIS IS SHOW STOPPER for your logic.
>
>You do not take into account that one can send strings from code, other can
>send strings of db name from OpenDialog.
>
>And it seems the main miss for you is that
>
>         "ruslan.zasukhin.db"
>         "my.music.db.old"
>
>are legal file names for Win and X.
>
>And they DO NOT have yet extensions !!!!

I see, it seems that there is unresolvable ambiguity. However, have
you considered an alternative approach that may still be simpler and
more consistent than what you currently implement?

What if db.Create() and dbOpen() have 2 parameters in place of just
filename: fname,fext. In other words, the extension is provided
explicitely and separately from the name itself (but optionally). I
think this would work for all platforms and allow to use the simple
rules I suggested earlier.

I realize that this change will add incompatibility to some existing
apps, but making it for version 2.0 would be perfectly acceptable.

Robert