[V4RB] 3 simple [?] questions

RBtools RBtools at columbus.rr.com
Wed Feb 26 06:53:07 CST 2003

on 2/26/03 1:02 AM, Pedro fp at lists at pedro.Net.au wrote:

> G'day Folks
>
> Three questions that I suspect are all rather simple matters but I
> haven't found answered in the Valentina docs.
>
> 1. Closing vCursor ... With READdb I found that it is absolutely
> crucial that RecordSets be explicitly closed when finished with. I
> started porting my project planning to follow similar practice with
> Valentina but haven't found any way to explicitly close a vCursor. Is
> it necessary? If so how is it done? With cur = nil?
>
> 2. Dates. I'd like to display dates as a REALbasic ShortDate because
> that formats the date according to the users system preferences.
> Currently I'm doing that with the following ...
>
>  d = new date
>  d.year = data.DateField( "dateAdded" ).year
>  d.month = data.DateField( "dateAdded" ).month
>  d.day = data.DateField( "dateAdded" ).day
>  efDateAdded.text = d.shortDate
>
> Can anyone suggest a more concise approach?
Depending on how you formatted you date text you could use ParseDate in
RealBasic to set a date parameter. Or what I am currently doing is
mDate = mCursor.Field("mDate").GetString

Mdate in the database is stored as a Date.  The will return a formatted
string.

> 3. I have a listbox that will used display at 4 different sets of
> fields. I'd like, if possible, to populate it with a generic block of
> code rather than a block for each set of fields. Am I correct in
> believing that ...
>
>  cur.field( indexOrName ).getString
I have a function that populates the names of the headers for the listbox.
I then use those names to extract the data from the table.  In my case the
names of the fields in the table match the names in the listbox.  I chose
names that could be displayed in a listbox header.  If the name in the
database is FirstName then I would put First Name in the table and just
remove the space before it is used to get the data.

Steve