[V4RB] 3 simple [?] questions

Pedro fp lists at pedro.Net.au
Wed Feb 26 16:02:16 CST 2003

G'day Folks

Three questions that I suspect are all rather simple matters but I
haven't found answered in the Valentina docs.

1. Closing vCursor ... With READdb I found that it is absolutely
crucial that RecordSets be explicitly closed when finished with. I
started porting my project planning to follow similar practice with
Valentina but haven't found any way to explicitly close a vCursor. Is
it necessary? If so how is it done? With cur = nil?

2. Dates. I'd like to display dates as a REALbasic ShortDate because
that formats the date according to the users system preferences.
Currently I'm doing that with the following ...

   d = new date
   d.year = data.DateField( "dateAdded" ).year
   d.month = data.DateField( "dateAdded" ).month
   d.day = data.DateField( "dateAdded" ).day
   efDateAdded.text = d.shortDate

Can anyone suggest a more concise approach?

3. I have a listbox that will used display at 4 different sets of
fields. I'd like, if possible, to populate it with a generic block of
code rather than a block for each set of fields. Am I correct in
believing that ...

   cur.field( indexOrName ).getString

will return the field contents as a string for all or most field types?

Cheers, Pedro :-)

Web: <http://www.pedro.net.au>                    PGP Key ID: 387CD96F
Instant messaging...  AIM: bandidoOfOz  ICQ: 27671678  Jabber: pedrofp
                       MSN: mail at pedro.net.au           Yahoo: pedro_fp
"[the digital divide] is just a new sticker we use to cover up a
more important word: poverty. I don't think we should worry about
the digital divide nearly as much as we should worry about poverty.
It's all over the planet."
                       Apple co-founder & CEO Steve Jobs, April 2001