Select command using right

Yennie at aol.com Yennie at aol.com
Tue Feb 18 19:14:46 CST 2003

To clarify... do you mean you cannot use left() or right() in SELECT at all
now, even if the field is a method? i.e., you must have the functions
built-in to the method?

If so, this should probably be documented with a big warning. I for one have
a bunch of code (which luckily I don't use anymore) that collects search
terms and uses left() to search the database, i.e.:

SELECT * FROM MyTable WHERE left(SEARCH_TEXT, "&length(searchTerm)&") = "&
searchTerm

SEARCH_TEXT is a method indexed by words which collects all of the text
fields from the record.

So I used a method, but I still used left() in the SELECT statement. It works
as a pretty fast, basic search engine! Is this not supported in current
version?

Note- I don't need this anymore (I use a separate search engine), but it
could bite some others?

Brian