[OFF] utility for files

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Sat Feb 15 20:08:17 CST 2003

>Hi Guys,
>
>Anybody know if exists such tool for MAcOS X which can do next task.
>
>Often enough I need
>A) add prefix to many files.
>         f1.cpp      =>    old_f1.cpp
>         f2.cpp      =>    old_f2.cpp
>
>B) change prefix of files
>
>         OBL_f1.cpp      FBL_f1.cpp
>
>In the old good DOS we could do this easy.
>In MacOS we can do this?

This can be done with Unix commands in terminal window but I doubt
that is what you want. AppleScript can do it under both Classic and
X. Under Classic there are a few dedicated utils that can do it, so
there must be some under X as well.

Personally, I have always found AppleScript syntax a bit too
cumbersome for such tasks and used Hypercard instead. It is even
easier with MetaCard which works under both Classic and X. You just
write a simple rename script yourself, place a link to the stack
under Apple menu or in the dock, and then recall with a click. It
will even remember all your last settings and you can save a number
of pre-defined variations for reusing. And you can have any complex
filtering for names and/or locations, update dates, and whatever and
define new names and whatever twisted way suits the current task.
None of the other tools I tried gave me the same flexibility and
reusability.

I am sugesting this particularly since I know you have xCards but
don't get to use them much :)  And they can be used for changing the
content of files as well -- while in most instances a program like
BBEdit is good enough, xTalk script can handle multiple levels of
complexity.

Robert