[for ALL] Valentina Server 1.x // And they say OpenBaseisgood?

Keith DeLong delong at redcort.com
Mon Feb 10 18:17:29 CST 2003

>>> I don't think that what Ruslan has in mind will help you
>> (or me) with
>>> regard to multi-user apps.  That is, I don't expect this proposed
>>> release to be embeddable inside an RB app.
>>
>> Why not? I've been chatting with Ruslan off list - he's
>> indicated privately that he does have an embedded release in mind...
>
> There is an embedded solution in the works, but for Valentina 2.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Lynn Fredricks
> President
> Proactive International, LLC

Sorry Lynn, it was today that Ruslan and I were chatting about a 1.x
embedded server. Ruslan raised the idea and told me he could have a beta by
the end of February and out maybe even out by the end of March. Remember he
started this discussion dsaying they already had the server running on the
1.x kernel.

If you want to pull Ruslan's announced idea today due to marketing
considerations that is your prerogative. But let's not pretend it didn't
happen -- it came directly from Ruslan.

Please remember that loyalty of your current customers is a vital asset. I
urge you to help your developers who are hurting due to endless server
delays. We've been a pretty patient bunch.

Ironically Ruslan began this thread talking about how OpenBase was
technically inferior to Valentina. Products that are available now and
supported enthusiastically and responsively often kill 'technically
superior' products. The OpenBase folks have shown great concern and care in
helping  those who choose to develop with their products. This is why
OpenBase is being adopted by the Realbasic community. If it's not a speed
demon today but works adequately, that is way better than an brand new
unproven technology that is endlessly delayed.

If I have to wait until June or July for 2.0 to be tested and proven with an
all new code base, a new SQL parser, and server capabilities, my lead
revenue generating software very likely will not be built on the Valentina.

If this is not a concern for you, then you're a liability to Ruslan's
brilliance -- in spite of your stated conviction that you're trying to keep
him from being distracted.

Keith DeLong