Valentina?, [ NEW RB /DB API]

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sat Feb 1 21:05:16 CST 2003

on 2/1/03 7:27 PM, Marc Van Olmen at marc at sky4studios.be wrote:

Hi Marc,

> I'm doing my first project with Realbasic, but as you maybe know I'm one of
> the part time engineers of iShell, and have a lot of database experience...

Glad to meet you :-)

> But indeed I'm already thinking about doing what you are saying writing my
> database classes etc... Maybe we should setup a mailing list and discuss it
> there to see what API we can come up with.

In fact we can do this right on Valentina list.
I believe Valentina developers will not be against if we will talk about
improvement of V4RB + RB.

> Indeed, Especially the control's are very poor for the moment, automatically
> filling a table, having an EditField that handles numbers, date, time
> correctly etc... There are a few 3rd party plugin's that does this but it
> should be done automatic.

As far as I understand, this can be handled in several ways.

1) REAL provide more features or new controls.
    for example EditField get property 'filter' pattern.

2) in fact the same can be done perfectly using "features" of OO.
    You simply create subclass of EditField and provide logic you need.

So here is important to set up PUBLIC REPOSITORY of such useful classes.

Marc, I am not REALbasic developer, and I even do not know RB deeply.
So I afraid I cannot be fan which do this.
In the same time I believe RB community have such fans, which can do this.

3) and of course we cannot self resolve all tasks using own
classes...probably.

For example, *DREAM*:
    RB controls must be able work with Idatasource.
    so RB developer can provide his own subclass (for example
    Valentina Cursor can be such datasource), and control start
    work with this datasource.

We cannot enter this into native RB controls...
Or can we ?!!!   :-)

May be developers of RB plugins which extend RB controls can help here?
I have hear that it is possible EXTEND native controls.

> What's you plan of action? My personal experience is that not many people on
> a mailing list want to help out in these kind of things but I'm new to this
> mailing list

In fact I recall at least 5 developers which have mention creation of own
classes to get "Database independent API".

Of course they could finish their projects and have no now wish spend time
on this joined efforts. But who now.

BTW, most probably all these developers was Valentina developers, and they
have write this class layer to join e.g. Valentina and Oracle API. Note,
that users of RBDB API unlikely have spend time on this...

Marc, I will be happy discuss and help on this issue.
But I really busy on Valentina 2.0 to push this stone also.
You can become organization of this process.
Again, I will be always in touch, as well as many Valentina developers from
Valentina list.

------
Btw, you going to use Valentina?
Or why you think about this classes?
And note, DB Interfaces and Controls these are 2 different tasks.
We need concentrate on first task at first.

Another point, RB-NUG list is list of users who want use stable version of
Rb. RB-Beta list collect developers who is ready talk about new features.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com