Apostrophes

Deane Venske deane.venske at eduss.com
Thu Dec 4 15:21:14 CST 2003

> My trick in Access  for storing text fields that contain apostrophes was
> construct SQL variables that enclose text variables in CHR(34), i.e.
> quotation marks. However, since that doesn't appear to work with
> Valentina,
> what trick do you recommend? I'm about to change all of my SQL statements
> and Getstrings to substitute apostrophes for exclamation marks and back
> again on the fly --- the items I'm storing can never contain exclamation
> marks naturally.
>
> But there's probably a better way that you all will recommend to me.
> chuck
The best way I know of is to escape apostrophes, I've used the backslash :
INSERT INTO table1 VALUE('O\'Neil') BUT this doesn't always work (I think
it's selects that don't like it. So you need to use : SELECT FROM table1
WHERE username = 'O''Neil'.

But give both methods a try, they can be bothersome.

--
Deane Venske
Senior Programmer