V4RB 351 Var Char Error

Cindy Brown cindy at kowhaiprogramming.com
Wed Dec 3 07:52:04 CST 2003

Hi Ruslan,

> 1) at least during last 2 years was not found any major bugs in VarChar as I
> remember.

I need to put this in perspective. We haven't had any real crashes with
Varchar or anything else over the last year or so. The databases have been
running really well. It's just been these last two weeks. Of course, the
database has been more intensively used as it is school report time. The
crashes have happened at six different sites. I have been able to sort them
out (by putting a replacement database in) but it just seems unusual that it
is happening all of a sudden. I am now using REALbasic 5.2 which is much
faster than 4.5 with the server sockets and I wonder if that has something
to do with it.

> 2) are you doing DELETEs on this table ?

Yes, we are doing add, edit's and delete's.

> 3) how this error come? No crash? Nothing bad?
>   man works, and ops error ???

Yesterday, for example. The school was sending data from one machine to the
server. Each individual record is sent across TCP/IP. The server locates the
record, adds, edits or deletes as per the instruction. The error came up
when we were adding a record. I had recently put an instruction on the
server to test for any error to the database and it came up with the 351
error at that point.

> Than very Strange.
>

> 4) all apps where error did happens work on windows servers ?
>   or MACs also?

These errors have happened all on Mac machines. Two on OS 9 and two on OS X
Servers. The one last night was on an OS 9 machine.

The varchar field that is causing me all the trouble is in my assessments
database and is 3000 characters long. I have other varchar fields but so far
I have no corruptions in these. The assessments database is the most
intensively used database on the program.

All the best.

--

Cindy Brown
Programmer

Kowhai Programming Systems
PO Box 198, Invercargill
81 Marama Avenue South, 9RD Invercargill
Phone (03) 213 1243
Fax (03) 213 1248
Mobile (021) 354 930
<http://www.kowhaiprogramming.com/>