[1.9.8 bug?] Orphaned Text lines

erne ernestogiannotta at tiscalinet.it
Tue Aug 12 12:45:43 CDT 2003

On Martedì, ago 12, 2003, at 10:46 Europe/Rome, Francois Van Lerberghe
wrote:

> le 11-08-03 20:11, erne <ernestogiannotta at tiscalinet.it> a écrit :
>
>> Hi Francois,
>>
>> On Lunedì, ago 11, 2003, at 11:00 Europe/Rome, Francois Van Lerberghe
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I just found another way to have orphan segments :
>>> If you have a table with a blob field (VTextField in my case),
>>> delete a
>>> record that have some value in this field and you stay with an orphan
>>> segment.
>>>

>> are you sure?
>
> Yes.
> V4RB 1.9.8 final version, MacOS 9.1 french
>
> But I was wrong saying it's on myCursor.delete (due to the "File still
> in
> use" bug of the Diagnose report file, and thus not updating the
> report).
> In fact, I experience the problem when I add record.

> It seems that is not in all db (with the same structure and
> application). I
> must play a bit more to narrow the problem. All db have initial
> diagnose
> report "all right", but some, after adding record, show orphan segment.

You mean update record or add record failure after having written data
to Blob field?

Yes, this is known issue
Valentina allocates segments to write those data in the Blob file
but forgets to free them up in case of Update/Add failure
or of course in case a crash occurs before issuing Update/Add commands.

Cool Runnings,
Erne