[1.9.8 bug?] Orphaned Text lines

Erik Mueller-Harder lists at praxisworks.com
Sat Aug 9 12:10:55 CDT 2003

Hi, Igor & Alex --

I'm not sure whether you have much to do with 1.9.8, but I found a bug, I think.

If you attempt to add a record to a base object, where a field is defined as "unique" and where another field is a Text field, and if the add fails because there's already a record with the unique value, you end up with orphaned lines in the Text field (as identified by Diagnose).

The work-around, of course, is not to populate the Text field until after you've ascertained whether the unique field is really unique.  You could do this either by

1.  trying to find a record with the unique value first, and
    then adding the new record (complete with Text field) if it
    isn't (a good approach if you think it's likely that you'll
    find a match -- and you may as well not bother defining the
    field as unique!), or

2.  by attempting an Add, and then populating the Text field and
    Updating the record if the Add succeeds (a better approach
    if you think you won't find a match).

I've just eliminated all my orphaned-record errors by using the second approach.  :-)

Erik