[kernel] Text/method fields

Halldor Gislason halldorg at vortex.is
Fri Aug 8 15:43:59 CDT 2003

Hi Erik,
You might want to consider storing the as lowercase inside the DB and just
tag an encoded list at the end of the field which identifies which
positions within the text are uppercase - then just convert them back when
you display the text.

Depends on what the main usage is and the type of content but it is
definetly worth considering.

Halldor

on 8/8/03 17:49, Erik Mueller-Harder at lists at praxisworks.com wrote:

> Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:
>
>>> Great!  Might I suggest a change to the VKernal documentation
>>> (page 32):
>>>
>>>   Method results can be of any field type except BLOB and
>>>   Picture.  VText results are supported, although they may be
>>>   limited by available RAM.
>>
>> Although you please test this well.
>>
>> I think, and do not see big reasons to use TEXT - Methods.
>
> Well, if I want a case-insensitive search on a Text field, I don't see any
> other way to do it (unless I create a non-method Text field and populate
it
> manually with lower- or upper-cased text -- but that would increase
storage
> requirements rather dramatically, no?).

Yes.

> One problem I've found:
>
> 1.  Though you can make a Text/method field that is based on a
>   regular Text field -- works fine (with only limited
>   testing);
>
> 2.  and you can make a Text/method field that is based on
>   VarChar fields (why would you want do this?  If you're
>   concatenating field values.) -- works fine (with only
>   limited testing);

For example you have concat of few VarChar, so size can be >64KB

> 3.  you can NOT make a Text/method field that is based on
>   another Text/method field.  Result seems invariably to be
>   empty.  That's too bad, because I'd wanted to concatenate
>   various other results into one large Text/method field for
>   indexing purposes.  Sigh....

I think this is really not implemented, because of potentially unlimited
size of RESULT VALUE.

How I can handle this?
* Even one TEXT value can be few MB/GB
* of course it is possible produce result to disk, so this is not trivial
step.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com