UTF support scheduled to 2.0

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Mon Aug 4 19:34:24 CDT 2003

on 8/4/03 19:11, Brendan Murphy at bmurf at comcast.net wrote:

Hi Brendan,

> Ruslan Wrote:
>> Please understand, in 2.0 we do true revolution in internal design of
>> kernel. Something like MacOS 9 and MacOS X.
>>
>> I want to bring ALL this to your development as soon as possible.
>
> I am not sure I understand the differentiation between 1.x
> and 2.0, so could you please clarify my understanding.
>
> As I understand it, 1.x is a stand alone product that is
> completely self contained within the target application and
> 2.0 follows the client server model. So to me, 1.x and 2.0
> look like two totally different products that share the same
> API. So in my application where I specifically need the
> stand alone capabilities, 2.0 will not work for me since it
> is not desirable nor needed to have multiple applications
> accessing the database file.

in 2.0 we will have the same "Standalone SDKs" as now.
But will be added new products: Vserver and "Client SDKs"

Big changes in API will get only C++ SDK.
All rest will be totally the same.
Just new features may be added.

> So naming it 2.0 seems somewhat misleading in that it is not
> really an upgrade to 1.x but a brand new product. So my
> question is if I move to 2.0, how exactly will I keep the
> all the stand alone capabilities (all code within my
> application)? If this can't be done in 2.0 as it works in
> 1.x, then why is development being stopped on 1.x (I am not
> speaking specifically of UTF support)?

You will not loose nothing in 2.0 from current functionality.
Just new abilities.

-------------------------
For that guys that have miss info abut 2.0 design.

- we totally re-write kernel using new C++ design.
    this is not visible for you, but this open for us
    more ways.

- totally new SQL parser and SQL engine.

- new internal file system (works 100+ times faster of 1.x)
- new cache system (works 200-500 times faster of 1.x)
- Last 2 features will allow Valentina be even more effective on huge dbs
and use effectively a lots of RAM in the current computers.

- we have now plugin system for FEATURES of kernel.
    Third party developers will be able SELF add as plugins
        * fields types
        * importers
        * ...

- I have not work yet, but I hope put in 2.0 my new ideas on index
improvement. This promise speed up index search in 5-20 times.

My first target -- make working 2.0 kernel with current features based on
all these new "vehicles "

Later new design will allow us EASY add more power and flexibility to
kernel. For example, I see as important additional -- feature "SOLID
TABLES", This is a table that keep columns not in separate files as now, but
in the single file as solid record. Like this have all other dbs. Deal is
that when we have 100+ columns in the table the current Valentina's
implementation start loose. So I want that Valentina developers will be able
self decide what kind of table they need.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com