UTF support scheduled to 2.0

Brendan Murphy bmurf at comcast.net
Mon Aug 4 11:11:41 CDT 2003

Ruslan Wrote:
> Please understand, in 2.0 we do true revolution in internal design of
> kernel. Something like MacOS 9 and MacOS X.
>
> I want to bring ALL this to your development as soon as possible.

I am not sure I understand the differentiation between 1.x
and 2.0, so could you please clarify my understanding.

As I understand it, 1.x is a stand alone product that is
completely self contained within the target application and
2.0 follows the client server model. So to me, 1.x and 2.0
look like two totally different products that share the same
API. So in my application where I specifically need the
stand alone capabilities, 2.0 will not work for me since it
is not desirable nor needed to have multiple applications
accessing the database file.

So naming it 2.0 seems somewhat misleading in that it is not
really an upgrade to 1.x but a brand new product. So my
question is if I move to 2.0, how exactly will I keep the
all the stand alone capabilities (all code within my
application)? If this can't be done in 2.0 as it works in
1.x, then why is development being stopped on 1.x (I am not
speaking specifically of UTF support)?

What am I missing here?