xml and sql dumping & restoring

Chuck rwc1717 at shaw.ca
Fri Aug 1 16:42:56 CDT 2003

Hi Ruslan:
	I will be starting the sql backup stuff tomorrow. I have not looked at the file
that is generated....by sql export..other than it is small enough to use.
	August 10th is pretty close to today...for you...if I understand correctly..for
you to have the fix in the next version......1.9.9.9.9?  That would be great.

I have pasted our correcpondence below for the other list people to check out.

Thanks Chuck

on 8/1/03 13:48, Chuck at rwc1717 at shaw.ca wrote:

> Hi Ruslan...
> This is about the xml and windows restoring problem....
> First...did the attachment client.xml make it to your desk?
> Is the problem...me...you...or a combination...or no news yet?

Hi Chuck,

I did get it. Have not see it yet.

I afraid problem is deeply in the XML parser we use.
Most probably I will not fix this problem now.

We will try investigate if for 2.0 we can use other XML parser...

I will check your project in the nearest week or so.
I hope.

Hi Ruslan:

>I afraid problem is deeply in the XML parser we use.
>Most probably I will not fix this problem now.

Bummer...
The project I am doing will require some sort of file that can be easily moved from
machine to machine and office to office...the xml worked perfectly:-(.

>We will try investigate if for 2.0 we can use other XML parser...

The project should be up and running in a month...will v 2.0 be out...or should I think
of another way to do this.  If I create client.vdb files the problem comes with moving
them around easily....any prospects of being able to use the SQL type of dump and
restore?

>I will check your project in the nearest week or so.
>I hope.

And should we be talking on the board?...
Thanks for the prompt reply....

Chuck
on 8/1/03 20:34, Chuck at rwc1717 at shaw.ca wrote:

Hi Chuck,

>> I afraid problem is deeply in the XML parser we use.
>> Most probably I will not fix this problem now.
>
> Bummer...
> The project I am doing will require some sort of file that can be easily moved
> from
> machine to machine and office to office...the xml worked perfectly:-(.

Yes XML is great here, and we want significantly improve this feature,
To be able put into XML even separate records.

>> We will try investigate if for 2.0 we can use other XML parser...
>
> The project should be up and running in a month...will v 2.0 be out...or
> should I think
> of another way to do this.  If I create client.vdb files the problem comes
> with moving
> them around easily....any prospects of being able to use the SQL type of dump
> and
> restore?

I think you can try go by this way

1) exists problem that Valentina on SQL export do not escape strings.
I hope I will fix this up to 10 Augest. But even if no you can workaround
this using new escapeString() function.

2) so, when you have SQL dump, you need SELF parse it line by line to find
next SQL command, escape it, and send to Valentina.

This should work.

>> I will check your project in the nearest week or so.
>> I hope.
>
> And should we be talking on the board?...

As you want. Better on list.