PLEASE REPORT: on testing of Server once again!

Keith DeLong delong at redcort.com
Wed Apr 30 08:49:40 CDT 2003

Hi Ruslan,
Under the current scheme, it appears I can have only one vserver based
application running per server. What if two vServer based applications are
running on server hostname in the following:

     mDataBase = new MyDataBase( hostname, "sa", "sa" )

How difficult would this be to implement?
    mDataBase = new MyDataBase (hostname, ServerName, "sa", "sa" )

> Now I know where to search.
> Deal is that we use GUSI library that emulate UNIX socket for Carbon and
> Classic targets. As you know MacOS Classic and Carbon do not have sockets.
> So problem is located somewhere on this library calls.

So maybe there are some tests we could have on the client side for valid
connections.

How difficult would it be to add a server object and test for valid
connection to vserver and possibly a test for availability of a particular
database? I'd really like to have something like the following client syntax
available:

       //Properties
       str = server.host
       str = server.name
       str = server.user
       str = server.password

       //Methods
       bool = server.available  // can we make a connection?
       bool = server.dbexists (dbname)
       bool = server.userexists (username)
       bool = server.adduser (username, userpassword, adminpassword)
       bool = server.deleteuser (username, adminpassword)
       bool = server.addDB (dbname, adminpassword)
       bool = server.deleteDB (dbname, adminpassword)

       //syntax
       dim server as vserver
       server = new vserver(hostname, servername, user, password)

       mDataBase = new MyDataBase(server)

       res = mDataBase.Create(dbname, 1, 32 * 1024 )
       //or
       res = mDataBase.open( dbname )

       mDataBase2 = new MyDataBase2(server)

       // copy newdb to server folder
       res = server.addDB (newdb, sa)
       if server.dbexists (dbname) then
            //success
       else
            //error
       end

       // add newuser to master.vdb
       res = server.addUser (newuser, newpassword, sa)
       if server.userexists (username) then
            //success
       else
            //error
       end

> 3) I think compiled V4RB Windows app will work with your servers,
> Because WIN target use simply sockets of Windows.

I will test win32 as soon as I get some time.

> Okay, now I know where to search.

Happy hunting :-)

Keith DeLong