Newbie alert - Creating databases in Lingo

David Wood david.wood at pixelpump.co.nz
Sun Apr 13 13:46:11 CDT 2003

Hi Zav

>I'm currently trying to get my brain around the process of creating
>a database solely in Lingo and don't understand why files are needed
>to describe the database.  Hopefully, I can figure out how to create
>my first database completely in Lingo.

The general plan of attack is something like this...

Valentina = xtra("VDataBase").new() -- NEW INSTANCE OF THE XTRA
CreateDataBase(Valentina,"someFilePath",1) -- CREATE DATABASE FROM SCRATCH
myBaseObjectRef = MakeNewBaseObject(Valentina,"name Of Table") -- MAKE A TABLE

...then your addField stuff.
eg
thisField = AddField(Valentina, myBaseObjectRef,"Username",#kTypeString,10)

Is this any help?

There's a listServe thing that's reasonably active. The guys that
develop Valentina actively participate. Info is here...

Cheers

David