Newbie alert - Creating databases in Lingo

Zav - Alex Zavatone zavpublic at mac.com
Sat Apr 12 18:21:15 CDT 2003

>heyadoon Zac,
>
>Just to make sure, you aren't asking how to make a non-Xtra,
>Lingo-only database, right? You are asking how to construct a
>Valentina database without having some sort of SQL dump or XML file,
>yes?
>
>This is certainly possible, but I have found a number of reasons NOT
>to have my "primary" database definition be a Valentina database.
>These reasons include:
>
>* It's a pain to change Lingo code if your database structure changes
>* Valentina is fast and very useful, but I have had corruption
>problems occasionally
>* It isn't super easy to get Valentina data into other database formats
>* It is practically impossible (right now) to have multiple users
>enter data into a Valentina database.

What I'm doing is creating databases that will not change format and
the first one will grow as users are added.  Simply a "user,
password, hint" database.  Since this is my first, I'll use this as
my "getting up to speed" exercise.  The other databases will be
created from existing excel databases for product CD based kiosk that
will be installed onto a hard drive on a non internet connected
computer.

Thanks.
--
- Zav