Db Maintenance

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri Apr 11 22:48:03 CDT 2003

on 4/11/03 4:46 PM, Chuck at rwc1717 at shaw.ca wrote:

Hi Chuck,

> Hi Ruslan:
> It's Chuck, the guy from Victoria Canada, again:-).

:-) greetings from Ukraine!

> And the goods news is my program is almost done and I am at the point of
> figuring out the Defragmentation/Compact usefullness.
> I know they are usefull, but for example if I were to dump when leaving and
> load-the-dump when opening, would that accomplish the same thing...while
> creating
> an xml backup each and every time the program is closed, automatically?
> How much overhead does the indexing take...ie: a lot to a little?

Indexing in Valentina is VERY FAST.

But you sure that you want do XML Dump and Load on each Open/Close?
I just wonder why?

If you db is small, then no big sense try to make it more effective.
If you db is huge, then time of Dump and rebuild will also big.

Compact and Defragment are utility commands that user can do rarely.
For example once per week.

> Does indexing affect the xml dump?

Not sure what you mean.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com