[V4RB] Importing tab-delim.

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sun Apr 6 11:20:17 CDT 2003

on 4/6/03 11:07 AM, Pedro fp at lists at pedro.net.au wrote:

Hi Pedro,

> G'day Ruslan et al
>
> I had no idea of the existence of the ImportText method until this
> thread which brings some thoughts regarding the Valentina documentation
> which I shall visit later but first some questions of my own on
> ImportText ...
>
> Am I correct in believing that ImportText requires having an active
> vCursor and that the vCursor must have the fields represented in the
> import file in the same order as in the import file?

Yes.

> Can the initial vCursor be one with no records?

In fact this is even better!

        use WHERE RecID = 0

> Can the vCursor have fields in addition to those being imported?

Mmm, only if they are AFTER all fields in file.

> In my case I have a bunch of [meta data] fields that are calculated on
> import. If these can be part of the vCursor on which the ImportText is
> performed it would mean I do not have to get a new vCursor for
> calculation of these.

IF this is YOUR calculations in RB code, then Valentina's Import of course
cannot calulate them. And you can not do this using first cursor, because
Valentina will not return control to you until it finish Import.

So you must calculate them later after import.

> Does ImportText treat the first row of the import file as data or
> headers?

As data

> Concerning the documentation ...
>
> I have often thought that the documentation needs an index &/or an
> alphabetical function list even if that function list just gave page
> references to the manual. This particularly came home to me when I went
> to look up ImportText &, not knowing what class it belonged to, had to
> look through a lot of the manual.

Agree.

> I've also found a number of errors that can be quite confusing. Most
> immediately, the ImportText & ExportText methods both have the
> description for FieldDelimiter repeated as the description for
> LineDelimiter.

I will check this.

> I appreciate the good work that's already gone into the Valentina
> documentation. If someone from the documentation team wants to contact
> me off list <mail at pedro.Net.au> I'd be happy to help as I can on both
> these fronts.

In fact no doc team yet. I have write it self.

My dream is to get one or 2 helpers on docs.
There is chances that I will get them for 2.0 ver.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com