VArChar or TEXT - Segment Size ?

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri Apr 4 11:09:42 CST 2003

on 4/4/03 2:00 PM, Barney at barney at custombased.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am storing data just on a temp basis while the app
> is running so create a new table on the fly to do so and delete
> it when the app closes.
>
> I will never know what size the data will be, but it could
> get pretty big maybe upwards of 100 k ?
>
> I have gone for a TEXT field because I would never know the
> size to make the VarChar, is this correct ?

Yes, if size can be ANY then TEXT must be used.

> Segment Size ? looked at the Doc's but still just a little
> unclear ? Should I do something like 100 * 1024 ?

No.

> Or do I just go 100 ( for the 100 k )

No. this means 100 bytes

> Fld = BO.Createfield("Data", 17, 100 * 1024)
> Fld = BO.Createfield("Data", 17, 100 )
>
> What will happen if I get data gong in at 120 k. Will this be
> chopped off short ? Should I go to 200 * 1024 ? Will this effect
> the speed of other tables in the DB file ?

Segment size should be AVERAGE size of your records, in ideal of course.

If you do not want think about this, just make it 1024 bytes.
Or do it close to smallest your record. e.g.  4 * 1024

> BTW I notice the field is just created directly in the single data file
> I use for the APP. Suits me just fine, but I thought TEXT and BLOBS where
> poked out to the side into a separate data file ?

This means that you have create db in RB using dbMode = 1
Use dbMode = 4 or other.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com