VArChar or TEXT - Segment Size ?

Barney barney at custombased.com
Fri Apr 4 23:00:30 CST 2003

Hello,

I am storing data just on a temp basis while the app
is running so create a new table on the fly to do so and delete
it when the app closes.

I will never know what size the data will be, but it could
get pretty big maybe upwards of 100 k ?

I have gone for a TEXT field because I would never know the
size to make the VarChar, is this correct ?

Segment Size ? looked at the Doc's but still just a little
unclear ? Should I do something like 100 * 1024 ?
Or do I just go 100 ( for the 100 k )

Fld = BO.Createfield("Data", 17, 100 * 1024)
Fld = BO.Createfield("Data", 17, 100 )

What will happen if I get data gong in at 120 k. Will this be
chopped off short ? Should I go to 200 * 1024 ? Will this effect
the speed of other tables in the DB file ?

BTW I notice the field is just created directly in the single data file
I use for the APP. Suits me just fine, but I thought TEXT and BLOBS where
poked out to the side into a separate data file ?

Many thanks

Barney