editing a stored procedure

Bernard Devlin bdrunrev at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 06:46:18 CST 2010

OK I worked this out.  The issue is that VStudio does not display the
text of the changed procedure until the 'refresh' button is clicked.

There may well be good reasons for that, and I can live with it.
Although it is such strange behaviour it needs to be signposted.  In
Lotus Notes where data in a view might get changed in the background
by someone else, the view of the data is marked as stale by the means
of a 'refresh view' icon that appears in this situation.  Thus,
instead of automatically updating the view, the user is left to choose
when that update process happens BUT is also made aware that what they
are viewing is a stale representation of the data in the database.
There are arguments why such stale views should be preserved in e.g.
the Data Browser of VStudio, but to display the stale state in the
Schema Editor seems like a defect to me.

Furthermore, I do think that it is a bug that when one chooses to
'edit' from the context menu of a SP that one is taken to edit the old
text if the 'refresh' button has not been clicked.  Opening up a SQL
Editor on the text of a SP should display the current text of the SP
not the old text.

Bernard