editing a stored procedure

Bernard Devlin bdrunrev at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 04:39:36 CST 2010

Hi

I have a stored procedure that is giving me a strange error message.
As far as I can tell, the SP had been working for some days, and I
don't believe I made any changes to the db schema that would bring
about these string link messages.

Rather than go into the error messages right now, I'd like to deal
with this issue of editing SPs.  Please consider these two scenarios:

1) In VStudio I choose 'edit' from the context menu of the SP.  That
brings up the SQL Editor with the code for the SP displayed.  If I
make a change that complies with the Kernel's syntax and click
'execute', the console displays the body of the re-edited SP followed
by "has been executed".  There are no error messages.

2) If I do the same thing, but insert a syntactical error, and click
'execute', then in the console I see something like this:
"Kernel error: 0x71000....unexpected token..."

All of this I understand, and it works as I would expect.

HOWEVER, in scenario 1) where everything has apparently worked, when I
close the SQL Editor and return to the Schema Editor, and look at the
code for the SP displayed there, it shows the changes have NOT taken
place.  This is not just an issue with the Schema Editor displaying
the old code; if I choose 'edit' from the SP in the Schema Editor,
when the SQL Editor opens it is showing the old SP code.

Is this a bug, or have I misunderstood the procesess whereby one edits
a SP in VStudio?  It seems to me that it is impossible to edit a SP
and save the changes.

Regards,

Bernard