[V4MD] Greek character set problem Valentina-Director & picture insert problem

Georgiu Konstantinos georgiu at cti.gr
Fri May 4 07:49:47 CDT 2007

Ok I'll do that

> > Hello again,
> >
> > Now i am in front of another problem. I want to have both Greek and
> English in
> > my director application.
>
> Greek is from Roman group, right?
> So it should work.
>
> > Unfortunately director doesn't use unicode encoding.
> > So do I have to make the conversion myself?
>
> > When I retrieve something from tha database so I have to convert it
with
> my
> > own function utfToDirectorString? Is it a way to insert into
valentina
> db in
> > non-utf character encoding (like iso8859-7 which is for greek)?
>
> Why you think you need convert from Unicode??
>
>     Director works in Latin-1.
>         V4MD get Latin-1 strings from Director
>             V4MD convert strings to UTF16 and put them on disk into
db.

And, why inserting into string field causes bad conversion and inserting
into a text field works ok. I mean that when you insert from studio a
string in greek it is utf. So retrieving it in director causes it to not
appear correctly. On the other hand if I insert into a text field from a
text file (which is in ansi format) then in director will appear
correctly.
Will indexing work in any case?

> > When I insert text values from Valentina studio
> > it is inserted in unicode , but if i insert it from director it is
> inserted as
> > iso8859-7 and as a result when i retrieve it back it appears
correctly.
> So how
> > do I insert my data in valentina in non-unicode character set?
>
> Do not use Valentina Studio to prepare Director db.
> Try to use Director itself.

But I have large amount of data (thousands of records) and I have to use
some kind of automation to import them. So either I have to write some
kind of lingo script to import the data or use another ADK to do the
same job.

Now that I think of it more the lingo approach will be better.