[Vstudio] pictures added. More ideas?

Ed Kleban Ed at Kleban.com
Thu Jan 19 12:00:21 CST 2006

Let me point out in advance that I'm speaking in 100% complete ignorance
here because I haven't fired up the new VS program therefore I have not
played with the new picture feature.  But I take strong exception with some
of the things I've seen go by in the email conversation here.

That said, here are a couple comments:

On 1/19/06 3:23 AM, "Ruslan Zasukhin" <sunshine at public.kherson.ua> wrote:

> On 1/19/06 10:53 AM, "Jochen Peters" <j.peters at valentina-db.de> wrote:

> Moment.
>
> Many MacOS apps open drawer on right side to show preview.

No. "Many" apps do not.  Pathfinder does -- which is one of the reasons I
refuse to use Pathfinder if I need see previews and instead making do with
the finder.  The only other apps I'm aware of that do this are those which
are showing a large collection of thumbnails such as Preview or Acrobat.

Relying on the use of drawers to manage the revelation or disclosure of
previews makes window management a nightmare for the user in my personal
opinion.  It's hard enough with limited screen size to figure out where to
place and size a window without having to compensate for windows whose size
must constantly change outside the borders of the window.

If you ever feel compelled to add a drawer, then I recommend you do your
users a favor and instead make a window splitter so they can sanely manage
their screen real estate and use an interface compatible with multiple
platforms.

Better yet in this case, be happy there's a separate window.  Whether it
should be floating and thus steal visible space from other visible windows
when you don't want to stare at it is a separate issue.  Personally, I'd
keep the window, but kill the floating aspect -- or at least give the user a
preference whether it must always float and therefore prevent them from
seeing what they want.

> For example Path Finder.
>
>> More important point: With a seperate new window it will be more logical
>> like DataBrowser now - because people then can easy open
>> SEVERAL picture browsers! For example: This makes it easy to compare
>> pictures in table1 with pictures in table2 !
>
> I see point, also this bring mess.

Yes, it may make a mess but it gives US, the user, control instead of
requiring us to conform to YOUR, the designer's, sense of what's messy,
good, proper, or acceptable.   If you believe you're making a tool for
novice users and feel compelled to protect them, then you'll end up with an
interface like the REALbasic IDE that simply frustrates the heck out of
power users -- just look at the litany of feedback requests related to this.

But I'd argue very strongly that VS users aren't novices.  They are
necessarily all power users or they wouldn't be using a tool like this.  I
recommend you don't put artificial barriers in the way of your users just
because it offends your personal sense of aesthetics.  Instead give them
power and control to your tool the way THEY want for THEIR needs not the way
you think they should be using the tool.

>> Another reason: Property inspector now always shows properties of
>> CURRENT SELECTED object. This would break if we show pictures for
>> ALL records - but only ONE is selected as current.
>
> RIGHT!
>
> Note Picture Browser show pictures of CURRENT record in DataBrowser.
>
> Let your table have 20 fields, and 3 of them are pictures.
> (I think in most cases people have table with one picture field only).
>
> So our idea was
>     - show this group "Preview".
>     - user can close/open it

Please don't make it so we have to close the window to see what's underneath
it.  Make it so we can click on it to show it or click on a window in front
of it to occlude it.