[Vstudio] pictures added. More ideas?

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Thu Jan 19 12:20:00 CST 2006

On 1/19/06 11:41 AM, "Jochen Peters" <j.peters at valentina-db.de> wrote:

Hi Jochen,

>>> One reason is formal: Metadata versus content
>>
>> Religious issue :-)
> :-)
> But: If you do not have strong formal decisions then most
> likly people will get confused.
> "This is PROPERTY Inspectorer? Well - in most cases yes..but..." :-)
>

>>> another reason: Property inspector is floating palette -> never used for
>>> data elsewhere.
>>
>> Moment.
>>
>> Many MacOS apps open drawer on right side to show preview.
>> For example Path Finder.
> Yes - this was my idea also - but this is different discussion.
>
>>> More important point: With a seperate new window it will be more logical
>>> like DataBrowser now - because people then can easy open
>>> SEVERAL picture browsers! For example: This makes it easy to compare
>>> pictures in table1 with pictures in table2 !
>>
>> I see point, also this bring mess.
>>
>> You need to have 2 DataBrowsers opened.
>> And 2 Picture Browser opened.
> But ONLY if you WANT!

right

>>> Another reason: Property inspector now always shows properties of
>>> CURRENT SELECTED object. This would break if we show pictures for
>>> ALL records - but only ONE is selected as current.
>>
>> RIGHT!
>>
>> Note Picture Browser show pictures of CURRENT record in DataBrowser.
>>
>> Let your table have 20 fields, and 3 of them are pictures.
>> (I think in most cases people have table with one picture field only).
>>
>> So our idea was
>>     - show this group "Preview".
>>     - user can close/open it
>>     - if group is closed then no need spend time to show them.
>>
>> For that table I can see 3 picture by vertical.
> BUT - this will limit us!
> Then we will not have the same possibilities as for ALL OTHER data:
> Show several records at once!!!!!

No. because we already can set mode "Show Pictures" directly in DataBrowser

Just this slow down a little, and if data mixed then it is not beaty set big
height for column (but you can if you want).

This is why we have start this another way - in another window. Which you
can resize btw by width...

>> -------
>> You know, Adobe for example, allow you drag out floating panels, and
>> collect
>> together as you want ... Just a point...
>>
>> Just I not very like idea to have more windows...
> This is no problem - and screens getting bigger and bigger every day...

>> In any case guys can for now implement it on Inspector windows,
>> Move it to new window will be easy.

> No - it will not be easy to integrate it into Property Inspector!
> Property Inspector is now designed to work with the Schema Browser only!

But we need in any case resolve this to be able show Link Info as we have
discuss before.

Hmm, where you see problems? We have look into code.
Inspector is not related to SvemaBrowser. It just get Collection of
properties...

> So - this can break many thinks and this is not good so short before final!
> Please make it as additional window "Picture browser" !

We will see Jochen...

I think in nearest 1-2 hours guys can get something working.

> Maybe we can have additional "Preview aerea" - which will be used for all
> kind of data - not only pictures. For example long VarChar fields are cut
> in the DataBrowser - so having a preview which shows the whole story can
> be usefull here too.

For cut data best of all to add tooltip like do MS in its projects.