Double Click - open browser. And more

Ed Kleban Ed at Kleban.com
Fri Dec 23 16:28:24 CST 2005

On 12/23/05 2:36 PM, "Ruslan Zasukhin" <sunshine at public.kherson.ua> wrote:

> On 12/23/05 5:23 AM, "Ed Kleban" <Ed at Kleban.com> wrote:
>
>>> Double clicking on a table in the Database Elements column of the Schema
>>> Browser should open a Data Browser window on the selected table name.
>>>
>>> ===
>>
>> Ok, now here's an opportunity for an INCREDIBLY powerful capability for VS.
>> Not only should should double-clicking on a table name in the Schema Editor
>> do this, but double clicking on the row number (or RecId, or some bullet or
>> per-record icon) of a record in the Related Table section of Data Browser
>> should:
>
> :-))) yes, we also have discuss such idea -- easy navigation between records
> in many tables and, I have think yet, about back path for return.
>
> Such navigation should happens I think with
>
>         Option -- Double click for example

Hmm.... I'll have to think about that.  While sleeping last night I came up
with yet a completely different proposal for how to traverse links and
manage this traversal in new visual paradigm that is different yet from both
the way that Data Browers works now and the Tabbed approach used by Safari
and RB 2005, and the column approach used by  Pathfinder.

I'll send you a new email on that when I get around to writing it up as a
proposal.  But you raise an interesting point there.  If you do this
correctly, you should be able to backwards as well as forwards.  OR it could
be that the desire to do that is simply a non sequitir and in fact is just a
general case of "going forward in a different direction" in terms of the
interface.  -- which should be a very confusing statement that you don't
understand, because I don't I understand it yet either.

But consider:

If you have a whole bunch of tables, each of which has more than one
relationship with other tables, then how do you define forward and backward?
Essentially, you can't.  Forward isn't defined by virtue of the number or
type of relationships that a table has.  Forward is defined in terms of the
direction the user choose to go by clicking on one of many different
available relations.  And Back is then defined by returning to what you were
staring at before.  THIS is the paradigm that both Pathfinder and Docuwiki
and Safari support with "History" mechanisms.  It is a history of travel,
not going forward or backward on a predefined path.

So that is what is in my mind when I say that perhaps the concept of
traversing links backward is merely self confusion, and instead is just a
case of going forward in a different direction.

But that said.... it still does suggest an interesting new twist on the
interesting new navigation interface that I have not described yet.  And I
will include it when I make that proposal.

>> 1) Switch to the window displaying that table, or open a new window if none
>> yet exists.
>>
>> 2) Scroll the table so that the double-clicked record is visible.
>>
>> 3) Highlight that record.
>>
>> 4) NOT open an edit cursor on an unpredictable field value within that
>> record, as single-clicking on a row number currently does (Bug according to
>> Ruslan).
>
> To Jochen probably. Row number click should not start edit mode.

No.  It was declared as a bug by you, not Jochen:

========

=========

>> You could simply double-click on row numbers of records to traverse links
>> throughout the database exceedingly rapidly and with great ease.  This would
>> be very powerful, and essentially provide a means for browsing V2 tables and
>> relations in a similarly powerful manner as REALinsight will provide for
>> traversing RB source code method references.
>
> RIGHT Ed. You have catch idea. :-)
>
> Although I have think about opening of next table in the top browser so in
> related browser you can see next childs

Yeah, I'm less sure of this as well.  Wait until you get my new proposal.  I
think there is a different way that is better.

> Plus, the path of my jumps should be visible, like this do PathFinder or
> some web sites (including paradigma-soft).

Yes, I agree.  And my new proposal will make this very explicit and
convenient to exploit.  But now you have me thinking of yet another good
idea to combine as well.  Oh well.  It will have to wait until later.

--Ed