[ANN] Build 1.0a56 uploaded (Mac+Win)

Jochen Peters j.peters at valentina-db.de
Mon May 31 20:50:23 CDT 2004

Hi Ruslan,

> If you will start think about second browser at bottom, you will see
> that
> your controls at bottom are located not good.
>
> You need move
>     buttons SAVE/Cancel,
>     Show methods
>     size of row
>     and rest
>
> into TOP bar.
>
> Also once again take a look on VAPP's floating window
> With controls
>
>     Next/prev
>     first/last
>     position
>     delete
>     sorting // menu of predfined sorts
>
> Look how many useful things.
Yes - i agree.
The reason for having all these controls at the bottom is as follows:
I have made class "vsResultSetGrid" - which can display result sets
from any datasource and can also manipulate the data.
I use this single class in:
- Data Browser
- SQL Editor
- SQL Builder
You see? For this it was much easier to implement it with controls at
the bottom
because now i can place it on any child window...

Ok - but this is technical reason -
You are right that this must be changed when we have this second
browser - i
need think about how to do it.

> Again, this floating window play very import role in VAPP
>     it provide standard/default interface/GUI
>     for e.g. First/Last/Prev/Next buttons.
>
> Compare to Filemker, 4D.
> They also provide such default buttons.
> FileMaker do this in more consistent way IMHO.
> It show this as nice control in the book style of left side.
> 4D generate in each layout default set of buttons,
> Which you customize later.
>
> You do not have this now. As I see.
>
> Well, current position is visible on left of each row.
> But how I can JUMP to Nth record?
>

> Buttons prev/next we need when we are in the ONE RECORD EDIT mode.
> Actually you do  not have now such mode.
> In VAPP I did have it.
Yes - i also think to implement this when starting to implement Layouts.
Then we can generate one default layout for each table which shows ONE
record..

> Because in the LINE mode, it is good to see numbers and small strings,
> But it is not good to see MANY LINES Text fields, or Pictures.
> And we going to have Custom layouts, so you will need in any case
> SINGLE
> RECORD layout support.
>
> Again, look at 4D, they explicitly define:
>         single record layout and
>         multi-record layout.
> This have sense.
Yes - agree.