Floating control

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Mon May 31 21:18:15 CDT 2004

On 5/31/04 9:04 PM, "Ruslan Zasukhin" <sunshine at public.kherson.ua> wrote:

> Also once again take a look on VAPP's floating window
> With controls
>
>   Next/prev
>   first/last
>   position
>   delete
>   sorting // menu of predfined sorts
>
> Look how many useful things.
>

> Again, this floating window play very import role in VAPP
>   it provide standard/default interface/GUI
>   for e.g. First/Last/Prev/Next buttons.
>
> Compare to Filemker, 4D.
> They also provide such default buttons.
> FileMaker do this in more consistent way IMHO.
> It show this as nice control in the book style of left side.
> 4D generate in each layout default set of buttons,
> Which you customize later.

Hi Jochen,

And let me explain one more reason, why in VAPP I have made it as floating
window but not in the toolbar of window.

Reason is -- browser with 2 tables.

When focus is on the top table, all buttons work for it.
When focus is on bottom table, they works for bottom table.

If put buttons into top of window into toolbar,
It looks not so obvious that they will work in the same way for bottom
table.

This is why I have decide in VAPP move them into separate window.

Another reason,

We can have several opened browsers, but only one get focus.

So instead of eating monitor space, showing in EACH browser the same set of
buttons, I have move them into floating window so they are only once on
display.

I do not say that floating window is the best solution.
But it is not worse. Especially if floating window is smart,
Like in Adobe apps.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com