a55 // size of methods

Jochen Peters j.peters at valentina-db.de
Sun May 30 17:49:22 CDT 2004

Hi Ruslan,

> I have made table with 2 VarChar[20] fields,
> And one VarChar method c = upper(a)
>
> I open data browser, and see good size for a and b.
> I click show methods, and OPS, column of method again is very small.
Aahh - ok - i have not tested methods here - i will have a look on it.

> ------
> I close data browser, open it again, all changes in column size lost.
Yes, of course. Because currently the sizes are not saved.

> May be you can create class Layout and keep there column size,
> Even if window is closed?
>
> On the next open you find default layout for this table, and show again
> columns as was specified.
>
> At least this will work until close db.
I will implement a method where sizes will be persistent - even if you
close the db or close
Studio. I am working on a good solution here...

I have 3 options here:
1) Storing this stuff in the db itself - as we have discussed some time
ago - or
2) Storing it in the PrefsDB
3) Create a special db (with different extension) in the same folder of
the db to store all of this stuff.

1) I do not very like to CHANGE the database of the user by putting my
own stuff into it - it will
grow - maybe corrupt or other bad things can happen even if i use
system tables or user files in the db.

2) Obvious not a good solution...

3) I tend to do it like this. This is very flexible way. I can store as
many stuff as i want - because
it is my own database. i do not touch the user db in any way. If the
user want get rid of any
Studio stuff he can simply delete this file - what you think?