Version 2

Jochen Peters j.peters at valentina-db.de
Thu Jul 29 21:34:03 CDT 2004

Hi Rob,

>> the important point for this discussion is WHERE to
>> store this kind of preferences!
>
> Right. And a definite benefit of not storing settings in a non-visible
> table
> is not unnecessarily bloating the db size.
>
> Why not add a "Preferences" folder at the vStudio root level, for
> storing
> .gui files?
Hhmm - but when moving the db to a different computer you would have
to search inside this maybe big preferences folder for the one file you
will
need for your db. Better to keep this file side by side with the .ind,
.vdb files..

> Personally, I wouldn't care if VS didn't maintain and clean up the
> contents
> of such a folder; that's my own responsibility. File sizes for .gui
> files
> would be negligible anyway.
In future this files can grow if we will put more info into it.

> If db prefs are to be stored outside the db itself (which I agree is a
> good
> idea), it makes more sense to me to locate those prefs inside the
> vStudio
> folder instead of in the User's folder.
I would prefer the folder where all other files (.vdb, .ind, .dat) are
stored.
What does others think?