Version 2

Jochen Peters j.peters at valentina-db.de
Thu Jul 29 21:08:37 CDT 2004

Hi Rob,

> Since I use Valentina every day, and since column widths were
> mentioned,
> here's my opinion:
>
> Any off-the-shelf database program that allows the developer to view
> tables
> in a visual format maintains column-width settings for those tables.
Agree!

> IOW, if I open my "Customers" table, the column widths are formatted
> how I
> left them last time.
Correct!

> When I open my "Transactions" table, it must have its own column
> settings,
> and cannot use some global width setting.
>
> To me, this is obvious and expected behavior. Each table, and
> certainly each
> database, must retain its own settings. If it does not, it's not a
> useful
> program to see one's data visually. I could not justify purchasing that
> software.
Yes Rob - the important point for this discussion is
WHERE to store this kind of preferences!

> Also, for the database programs I use (Access, FileMaker, etc), I
> never need
> to trash my prefs. I have only done during VS beta, and after VS is
> released, I would expect to never need to do it.
Yes - of course. During the VS beta cycle it makes no much sense to
update the prefs db - in
a release build this will be completly different!

> I believe MS Access solves this issue by adding a non-visible table to
> each
> database, in which settings are stored (I could be wrong).
maybe - yes. And i do not like that approach! But note:
You CANNOT open access databases with other applications than Access!!!
This is completly different from Valentina where you can have V4RB,
V4MD or C++ applications
using the same database! And some of them does NOT NEED this info!

> So the .gui file sounds like an interesting idea for VS. But I would
> expect
> the Valentina engine itself to not require them. I would not expect to
> deliver .gui files to my client.
Absolutly right!!!
This is ONE advantage! You do not have to deliver this file to your
clients - keeping your
database as small as possible!