[Valentina-studio] a41

Jochen Peters j.peters at valentina-db.de
Wed Feb 25 19:43:39 CST 2004

Hi Rob,

>> You can access any ODBC datasource with Valentina
>> Studio. You can use the Import Wizard from Valentina
>> Studio to import data from any ODBC datasource.
>
> That will be beautiful. How can I do this? I've tried the ways that
> seem
> intuitive to me, but get no results.
>
> I'd expect to see the system's ODBC Data Source Administrator dialog,
> such
> as ODBC_Valentina provides with its "Manage Data Sources..." button.
> Is this
> in the plan?
Well - currently this is not planned. You can simply use the system
integrated dialogs for
managing your ODBC datasources. You can do this on Win and Mac
completly without
vStudio.

> Even better, it would be nice to have data sources appear in the "Data
> Sources" tree in V-S List View. Or in Column View, when I click "ODBC
> datasouce" in the popup, I'd expect registered data sources to appear.
Yes - this is a good point. In the current implementation you must put
your
ODBC datasources manually in vStudio's datasource list. You can do this
by using
the menu command "Connect to server.." - The dialog has a popup where
you can
choose between "valentina Server" and "ODBC datasource" - select "ODBC
datasource" - then
you must fill in the name of the datasource (as registered by the
system) and your user  name and password.
Then click connect - and the datasource should appear in the left most
column of the column view - and
also in the list view.

You can now work with the ODBC datasource in the same way as you do it
with valentina databases - with
one exception: Currently you only have "read-only" access to the db
structure.  This will change in the future.

Well - i must put up some tutorial about this ODBC stuff. I think i can
write something during the weekend.