[Valentina-studio] Encrypted Databases - Very Frustrating

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Wed Apr 21 11:37:01 CDT 2004

On 4/21/04 10:58 AM, "Jochen Peters" <j.peters at valentina-db.de> wrote:

Hi Jochen,

>> I wonder, you have for each table separate password?
>>
>> Why you not use single password for the whole db?
> I believe Dean HAS a single password for his database. I have also seen
> this problem - it
> seems to be problem in kernel as following:
> IF database is encrypted
> THEN all tables also have flag encrypted!
>
> IF table is encrypted
> THEN all fields also have flag encrypted!

Yes, right.

> vStudio CAN NOT determine if this flag on table/field is set because
> database is encrypted
> or because table/field itself is encrypted - you see?

Agree.

> Well - i can use the database password also for the tables and fields -
> (if the database is encrypted)
> but - is this correct?

Well, frankly saying I don't know nobody who have use different passwords.

Once somebody it seems have try, and as I remember there was even some
problems.

> Or can we have cases where tables have been
> encrypted with say "password1" and
> later the database is encrypted with "password2" ?

In theory yes, I was going implement such feature.
If it works 100% safe I don't know.

> You see problem?

yes

> Well - it is not real problem - i think it is not well defined what
> should happen in each case.

> Encryption should be carefully redesigned in 2.0 - i think...

Totally agree!

For now just use the same password for all.

Btw, may be this will work:
    may be you can try passw of db to a table,
    if no error then this is correct password.
    and you can use it.

    if no, then you can think that password is other.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com