[Valentina-studio] GUI issues

Rob Wingate rwingate at visual-book.com
Wed Apr 14 12:55:18 CDT 2004

> I have to disagree with him on the GUI issues.

I'm not sure we disagree.

The GUI example I was thinking of was a simple one: Windows' "Control Panel"
window and OSX' "System Preferences" panel.

The Control Panel window is nothing more imaginative than any other folder
holding icons. The System Preferences panel serves a similar purpose, but
organizes the icons into categories, uses animation, stores your favorites,
etc. Much more innovative design.

Windows' Taskbar and OSX' Dock fit this analogy too.

> Windows and Mac apps work best for me when the
> platform GUI guidelines are followed

That's what I meant by "it's all about user expectation, regardless of
platform."

Although my earlier email did say "non-standard GUI elements", I could've
stated it better. I should have said "non-conformist approach to GUI
design".

> What makes the Mac platform great for me is the
> simplicity of the interface and the elegance of the
> apps.

Same for me.

And for me Windows excels in speed and availability of software development
tools.

> Other folks probably prefer Windows and that is okay
> with me. It is nice to have a choice. :-)

I didn't say anything about preferring Windows; I prefer Mac OS too.

:-)
Rob