[Valentina-studio] [DISCUSSION] Improving column view

Jochen Peters j.peters at valentina-db.de
Thu Nov 27 17:41:14 CST 2003

Hi all,

please have a look at the attached two screenshots from vStudio's
column view.

As you might have already read we must improve the column view to be
able to show
more database elements - for example not only tables but also users,
forms, reports. We
must also show not only fields but also methods.
So - the question is how to do this best.
First we came across the Mac OS X Finder like GUI - this would mean we
have to put all
this elements into columns - for example:

Datasources --> Databases --> Tables --> Fields
                                                         Users  -->
Methods
						Forms

So - we would get more columns then now - and - what i don't like we
would mix
CATEGORIES (like Fields, methods) with REAL db objects like "Field1",
"Table1"..

As you can see in the first attachment i have put two rows of lists
into the column view
the upper one is for categories - the lower one is for real db objects.
Please have a look
at the picture to see what i mean here.
Well - this approach will give us a very complex GUI - so i started a
second approach - this time
i replaced the upper row lists with drop down menues.

Please let me know what you think would be better or how we can further
improve it.