[Valentina-studio] Non-SQL record browser

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Mon Jul 28 12:55:01 CDT 2003

on 7/28/03 12:33, Klamp, Kurt at Kurt.Klamp at abdnb.bayern.de wrote:

>>> Well, Kurt, probably you are RIGHT !!!!  :-)
>>>
>>> I see just one limitation. Selection in the TOP browser must be selection on
>>> SINGLE table, i.e. This CANNOT be JOIN TABLE
>
> why not? second pane popup shows the possible linked tables to the tables
> used in first pane( 1.pane must always get recids of used tables). User
> decides to see addtional data in linked table by choosing it in popup.
> General: the routine in 2.pane looks for possible linked tables and if its
> possible to show them it offers it in the popup

But JOIN TABLE, is not equal to original tables.
This is NEW table. It is NOT linked to others table, and it have NO such
info.

>> or result of GROUP BY...
>>
> yes, or?

NO

> if i do a query with aggregate function in 2 tables and result which is
> grouped by recid of one table, why not show in 2.pane additional data of
> 3.table which is linked to grouped data table.

I think THIS and ABOVE what you say with JOIN, will be able to do with what
I have name "creation RDB link on the fly".

>>> Jochen, I think this really can work...
>>> Just later we will need more abstractions for this level.
>>>
>>> Deal is that I want support in this way, NOT just ObjectPtrs, but ANY
>> kind
>>> of link between 2 tables:
>>>
>>> 1) ObjectPTr
>>>
>>> 2) RDB Link
>>>     a) default FOREIGN KEY in SQL and RDBMS
>>>     b) LINK condition assigned by user on fly.
>>>           Just only. To see something.
>>>
>>> 3) New kind of link that can be M : M.
>>
> That would be great. In first pane i've table 1, in second pane table 3 and
> link table 2 isn't visible and records in linktable 2 were created
> automaticaly by Vstudio.

Right. This also can work.

But In fact I did mean new LINK feature, that will NOT require from you even
creation of this third table that do MM link

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com