[Valentina-studio] Re: [VStudio] field flags

Jochen Peters j.peters at valentina-db.de
Sun Jul 27 15:36:25 CDT 2003

Hi Ruslan,

>> Yes - we need this. It must be possible to fully control the server
>> remotly - because in most cases
>> the server will be far away...
>
>> I think vStudio must get the "list of folders" from VServer - we must
>> have an API for this.
>
> We have discuss this with Igor,
> And we think you need to use FEATURE of OS.
>
> You simply must show standard "Open dialog" connected to remote
> compute. If
> user have rights he will see folders of remote computer as we see this
> in OS
> usually.
NO!!! This is simply not possible! This would mean that you need
file-sharing access to
the server - and that is not normally the case!! For example this is
impossible if the server
is hosted on a big UNIX machine at an ISP. You will never get the right
to browse
through it's directory structure!!!
No - simplest way (and ONLY cross-platform way) is - that Vserver
returns list of
possible database locations!! VServer can simply read this list from
.ini file for example.
So administrator needs to setup this path list once before first start.
This is already the case
now as i see - but currently we only have one db location there.

It would also be very powerfull if we can "UPLOAD" a new database to
one of this locations
with the help of VServer (for example by ftp..)

> Problem only we see for now, this dialog will return you "Network
> path",
> But you need Full Path to db on the SERVER computer.
> I am not expert here.
>

>> As i have seen we already have API for registering db's with the
>> server. Is this working right now?
>
> YES it works.
Ok.

>> Also we need possibility to add and change server users. I have not
>> looked into this - is this possible right now?
>
> YES. Look into class Vserver.
Very good!!