Preliminary Conclusions

Thorsten Hohage thohage at genericobjects.de
Fri Apr 6 02:56:48 CDT 2012

Hi,

On 2012-04-06, at 09:43, Fabian Kneubuehl wrote:

> - BACKUP DATABASE TO ‘folder’ should copy files into ‘folder’ and not create in ‘folder’ a new folder with time stamp:
>
> BACKUP DATABASE TO ‘c:\\backup’ results in files in:
> c:\backup\20120405_140953\dmxp_db.vdv…
> But I hoped for:
>                c:\backup\dmxp_db.vdb…

And I asked and hoped for two options for a long time

a) just direct in the folder (like it was long before???) or in a timestamped folder

b) timestamp folder with an option for clean up scheme

	b1	keep all (like it is now)

	b2	last XXX number to specify

	b3	"professional" scheme ... all for one week, last of a week, last of a month, last of a year  .... that would be my dream :)

I know all this clean up options can be done by scripting the system, but not all developers are hardcore scripters (think e. g. of Revolution user) and we buy Valentina, we could instead use BTree if we want to go hardcore ;) so b2 and b3 would be really, really helpful to define a new level of professionally integrated database backup.

regards,

Thorsten Hohage
--

Valentina Technology Evangelist
generic objects  GmbH - Leiter Solution Center Nord