V4RB 3.5.2 vs. V4RB 4 backward compatibility

Steve Albin steve at steve-albin.com
Fri Feb 13 16:35:04 CST 2009

After incurring a serious indexing problem with a V4RB 3.5.2 database that would not resolve with cloning or a dump/reload, I decided to upgrade to V4RB 4.

For one thing, I am very pleased that my app compiled and ran without any modifications on my part.

I opened my problem database with the rebuilt app and the previous problems disappeared.  That was what I expected because I tested this a while back using the beta of VStudio.

I closed the database and, just for fun, opened it with the V4RB 3.5.2 version of my app that was crashing and giving diagnose errors.  The problems are gone in this version also.  I am very pleasantly surprised that V4RB 4 seems to be backward compatible with version 3.5.2.

Can I be seeing this correctly?  If this is true, I can send my user a fixed copy of his database and he does not have to wait until I release my V4RB 4 version of my app.

Steve
--
Steve Albin - Montclair, NJ
http://www.jazzdiscography.com/