Links and naming

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sun Oct 14 06:34:08 CDT 2007

On 14/10/07 12:27 AM, "Thorsten Hohage" <thohage at objectmanufactur.com>
wrote:

Hi Thorsten,

Lets move this to BETA list

> still playing with links.
>
> In this case I've got three tables contact, documents and (let's name
> it) protocol. contact and documents should be clear by name,
> protocoll is for storing creator, creation date, last change date,
> last change user, last access date
>
> Now EVERY "main" table should have a link to the protocol and for
> simplifying things (and thinking of automatism and dynamics using
> links in a framework) I want to do a
>
> "select .... my_protocol->creator... from ..."
>
> quite egal what "main" table is used, so I want the link in the owner
> table to have always the same name, but obvious this isn't possible.

Yes you cannot have 2 links with the same name.
Exactly as you cannot have 2 tables with the same name in the db scope.

Also note, that links and tables share the same scope.

OKAY you are asking about NEW FEATURE REQUEST.
Please report it into Mantis using this my text:

Some **Data Model Tools** allow specify 2 additional sub-names for links.

     PERSON          PersonPhoneLink        Phone

           -------------------> Person HAS Phone

           <------------------  Phone BelongsTo Person

Idea is simple:

    we need allow specify additional names for links
    that work in the TABLE SCOPE.

So

    tblPerson.Link( "HAS" )        << find in fact PersonPhoneLink
    tblPerson.Link( "BelongsTo" )  << finds nothing.

    db.Link( "HAS" )               << finds nothing.
    db.Link( " PersonPhoneLink" )  << finds PersonPhoneLink

BUT, if to think more deeply, may be there is no many sense in this. You
still cannot have TWO or MORE links with name HAS for tblPerson. Right?

    Person HAS Phone
    Person HAS Car

So IMHO very minor feature. On the other hand it can help you if you want
have THE SAME link name in FEW TABLEs, but this names will be different for
different families.

Another point, what problem make link name as

    Contact_SomeNameLink
    Document_SomeLinkName

Then you can easy make algorithm which produce such names using THE SAME
part   _SomeLinkName