Some UTF-8 observations

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sat Nov 11 16:23:21 CST 2006

On 11/11/06 4:15 PM, "Kem Tekinay" <ktekinay at mactechnologies.com> wrote:

>> 1) if you have STRING[N]...
>>     size here should become 2 times less for TABLE column
>
> Here are all the sizes in MB for my fields (the strings are Vstring)
> according to Studio:
>
>  Field        UTF8        UTF16
>  City [30]    279.87      390.55
>  State [10]   131.99      127.54
>  Zip [5]      129.91       74.64

Note, that this size includes INDEX also. And NULL file if it exists...

If you have INDEX, for e.g. Field City,
Just set it OFF in the inspector.

Then check again size of City[30].
If you have for this field Nullable, also remove it.
In this way we will see real size of STRING[30] itself.

> Then there are 4 doubles that are each 38.31 MB in both versions.

Of course they not change size

> The file sizes for each are:
>
>  Type         UTF8        UTF16
>  vdb          84 KB       84 KB
>  blb          68 KB       68 KB
>  dat          383.9 MB    585.1 MB
>  ind          312.3 MB    181.3 MB

STOP. Index for UTF8 is bigger ????????????

This is wrong...

May be e.g. 90MB.

> I found it curious that the index size of UTF8 should be so much larger so I
> did a reindex on both databases. The index files both jumped in size to
> 411.6 MB for UTF-8 and 191.9 MB for UTF-16.
>
> Do these results make sense?

Index size no.

This is with b14 ??  Hmm, for b14 I did work exactly on index size ...

Okay, I start prepare b15 now, later we will check this again.