Some UTF-8 observations

Kem Tekinay ktekinay at mactechnologies.com
Sat Nov 11 09:15:26 CST 2006

On 11/11/06 2:57 AM, Ruslan Zasukhin at sunshine at public.kherson.ua wrote:

> 1) if you have STRING[N]...
>     size here should become 2 times less for TABLE column

Here are all the sizes in MB for my fields (the strings are Vstring)
according to Studio:

 Field        UTF8        UTF16
 City [30]    279.87      390.55
 State [10]   131.99      127.54
 Zip [5]      129.91       74.64

Then there are 4 doubles that are each 38.31 MB in both versions.

The file sizes for each are:

 Type         UTF8        UTF16
 vdb          84 KB       84 KB
 blb          68 KB       68 KB
 dat          383.9 MB    585.1 MB
 ind          312.3 MB    181.3 MB

I found it curious that the index size of UTF8 should be so much larger so I
did a reindex on both databases. The index files both jumped in size to
411.6 MB for UTF-8 and 191.9 MB for UTF-16.

Do these results make sense?