[ATTN] We are going limit VarChar to 4Kb of data !

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Tue Mar 14 02:41:26 CST 2006

Hi All,

I have spent few hours today in code of VarChar field...

My Resume is:

    it was evil idea try to make VarChar that support
    data > 4Kb.

* I am going tomorrow re-write VarChar to simplify code and make it faster.

After this we will have

* VarChar[2044] - maximal length for UTF16
* VarChar[4088] - maximal length for UTF8 or other single byte

This remake should not affect you if you not use VarChars > 4K.
And as far as I know there is no such developers.

If you will ask me, if this limit Valentina, answer is - not so much.
IF you look on MS SQL, they have limit on Table Record size = 8 Kb.
We give you limit on single VarChar = 4Kb.
But you can have many VarChar as you want.
And you can use TEXT field for long strings.