some questions

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Tue Jul 18 14:37:57 CDT 2006

On 7/18/06 2:06 PM, "Anna Kritselis" <akritselis at earthlink.net> wrote:

Hi Anna,

> In my application, I give my users a place to enter student comments.  These
> comments can be 3 sentences or 3-4 small paragraphs.  I keep going back and
> forth between varchars and vText fields.  I had changed to vText when you were
> rewriting the varchar code a couple of months ago.  I did have db corruption
> on the vText field and figured that you rewrote the varchar code, so I
> switched back.  Then I see on the beta-list that vText fields are faster when
> opening a database. I'm primarily concerned about corruption and still don't
> feel like I know the best way to go.

I think is next:

* VarChar slow down OPEN only if you have e.g. 100 VarChars in db.
    if you have 5-10, no significant affect.

* yesterday I have fix 1492 bug. Nasty.
    could cause corruptions IF you delete some fields
    then create new fields. New fields have reuse segments of old
    fields without zeroing them

    report was exactly on TEXT fields. Although it could affect any.
    May happens that it is reason of Dave report about 100K VarChar test.

* may happens that I will be able in 2.4 RELEASE also improve OPEN for
VarChar...I have one old idea how to redo this. Idea is

    Keep ALL headers of all pagefiles (VarChar + Indexes)
    in the single special file. So it must work much faster.