[ANN] V4RB mac 2.4 b18 uploaded

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Mon Jul 17 17:28:35 CDT 2006

On 7/17/06 5:20 PM, "Russ Tyndall" <fitzbew at nc.rr.com> wrote:

>> YES, windows works slower...reason as we see in File.Flush,
>>
>> This is very interesting and not clear...
>> Computers use 100% the same HDD hardware and controllers.
>>
>> Why windows take so much longer time ?????
>>

>> Our own C++ test on mac take 3-4 minutes only,
>> On Windows about 15-20 minutes.
>
> I'm afraid my testing shows the problem as much more severe.
>
> Using 23b10 on X.4.6, my db.open() call returns to me in .7 seconds the
> *first* time I open a 240mb db after a restart.  Subsequent db.open() calls
> take only about .35 seconds.  (DP 800mhz G4)
>
> Using 2.3 (release) on Win XP Home, my db.Open() call returns to me in 31.0
> seconds (yes, 1/2 minute!) the first time I open the db after a restart.
> Subsequent db.Open() calls take only .2 seconds!  155x faster! (2.1ghz
> Celeron)
>
> The reason why the problem is so nefarious is that it only happens the
> *first* time a db is opened in a session --- I never even noticed it during
> development.  Only when a customer complained. :-(
>
> Why does Windows take so much longer during the first opening? I'm afraid
> greater minds than mine must answer that.  My instinct is that one day
> Ruslan is going to be looking at the Valentina code responsible for this and
> suddenly see a bug or a glitch that is causing a massive slow-down.

I already have look.

I have told -- only way we see -- is do LAZY open of VarChar and index
files. This require re-write logic of some methods, using new flags, check
of these flags in some number of methods...must be accurate

> Interestingly, the problem does not seem to exist under Win98SE (at least
> under VPC 6.x.). But I see it clearly on "real" Win 2000 machines and
> emulated XP and Me machines.

Yes, also interesting for me, write small stupid tests that do bench OS
calls...