[ANN] V4RB mac 2.4 b18 uploaded

Russ Tyndall fitzbew at nc.rr.com
Mon Jul 17 10:20:27 CDT 2006

On 7/17/06 5:55 AM, "Ruslan Zasukhin" <sunshine at public.kherson.ua> wrote:

> YES, windows works slower...reason as we see in File.Flush,
>
> This is very interesting and not clear...
> Computers use 100% the same HDD hardware and controllers.
>
> Why windows take so much longer time ?????
>

> Our own C++ test on mac take 3-4 minutes only,
> On Windows about 15-20 minutes.

I'm afraid my testing shows the problem as much more severe.

Using 23b10 on X.4.6, my db.open() call returns to me in .7 seconds the
*first* time I open a 240mb db after a restart.  Subsequent db.open() calls
take only about .35 seconds.  (DP 800mhz G4)

Using 2.3 (release) on Win XP Home, my db.Open() call returns to me in 31.0
seconds (yes, 1/2 minute!) the first time I open the db after a restart.
Subsequent db.Open() calls take only .2 seconds!  155x faster! (2.1ghz
Celeron)

The reason why the problem is so nefarious is that it only happens the
*first* time a db is opened in a session --- I never even noticed it during
development.  Only when a customer complained. :-(

Why does Windows take so much longer during the first opening? I'm afraid
greater minds than mine must answer that.  My instinct is that one day
Ruslan is going to be looking at the Valentina code responsible for this and
suddenly see a bug or a glitch that is causing a massive slow-down.

Interestingly, the problem does not seem to exist under Win98SE (at least
under VPC 6.x.). But I see it clearly on "real" Win 2000 machines and
emulated XP and Me machines.

--
Russ Tyndall
Wake Forest, NC